Medical News Today
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:00:00 +0000: Prostate cancer biomarker may predict patient outcomes - Health News from Medical News Today
Researchers at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and the University of Alberta in Canada have identified a biomarker for a cellular switch that accurately predicts which prostate cancer patients are likely to have their cancer recur or spread.The study, posted online recently in advance of publication in Cancer Research, was led by co-investigators Andries Zijlstra, Ph.D., assistant professor of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology and Cancer Biology at Vanderbilt, and John Lewis, Ph.D.
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:00:00 +0000: Compound in grape seed extract 'kills prostate cancer cells' - Health News from Medical News Today
New research suggests that a component found in grape seed extract is effective in killing prostate cancer cells. This is according to a study published in the journal Nutrition and Cancer.Investigators from the University of Colorado Cancer Center have analyzed the potential of grape seed extract (GSE) for its anti-cancer properties over the last 10 years.But although previous research from the team has demonstrated its effectiveness against cancer cells and how it works, it was unknown as to which element of GSE produces these effects.
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:00:00 +0000: Similarities in shark, human proteins revealed by new genetic research - Health News from Medical News Today
Despite widespread fascination with sharks, the world's oldest ocean predators have long been a genetic mystery. The first deep dive into a great white shark's genetic code has fished up big surprises behind a design so effective it has barely changed since before dinosaurs roamed.Cornell researchers have discovered that many of the endangered great white shark's proteins involved in an array of different functions - including metabolism - match humans more closely than they do zebrafish, the quintessential fish model.
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:00:00 +0000: Proteins' passing phases revealed - Health News from Medical News Today
A new method to identify previously hidden details about the structures of proteins may speed the process of novel drug design, according to scientists at Rice University.A unique combination of computational techniques and experimental data helped Rice theorists predict intermediate configurations of proteins that, until now, have been hard to detect.
- Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:00:00 +0000: Almost 600 under-16s take up smoking each day in UK - Health News from Medical News Today
Figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that each day, around 1,000 US teenagers under the age of 18 become daily cigarette smokers. Now, new research estimates that almost 600 children under the age of 16 begin smoking every day in the UK. This is according to a study published in the journal Thorax.There is no question that smoking can cause many health problems at any age. But taking up smoking at a younger age can pose even greater risks to health, compared with starting later in life, according to the researchers of this most recent study.